Monday, March 6, 2017

Re-Entry From Mars?

It seems strange that I have been back in the States for over 2 months now. It seems like only yesterday and a life time ago since I walked down the gangway of the Africa Mercy for the last time. The last 2 months have been a bit of a roller coaster. When I landed December 19th I was so relieved to be back and able to enjoy my family, friends, sunshine and fresh healthy foods that I had missed for the last 4 years.

My nephew Crew who I've had lots of time with. 


I see things so differently now. I love big windows. I hear the birds singing and smell the trees blossoming like never before. I don't take for granted access to fresh, healthy food. My health has continued to improve as I rest and embrace a healthy lifestyle. I am so thankful to be here.

That being said. There are some very hard days! A few weeks ago I went to see the movie The Space Between Us. It's about a 16 year old born and raised on mars visiting earth for the first time. I found  that I oddly related to the boy. I have not been living on Mars but reentering the States after 4 years in Africa feels a little the same. Sometimes I feel like the more I try to connect the more out of place and different I feel. I am so thankful for the family and friends God has surrounded me with to give me time, space and a listening ear to walk out this transition with me.
I miss my friends from the ship. I miss the tight community I was a part of for 4 years. At the same time I am thankful to catch up with people in America. It just takes time I suppose.
Thanks to those of you have been a part of this journey and supported me in every way!

No comments:

Post a Comment