Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Time of Refreshment!


The Africa Mercy is currently docked in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain. It is geographically closer to Africa, but very much a part of Spain. We are 3 weeks into the 6 week shipyard project. One of the projects is to repair the hospital floor by removing the concrete in order to treat the corroding steel, especially the old rails from the ship's days as a Danish rail ferry. It is difficult, noisy and dirty but necessary (see picture). I have to tell the new crew that come onboard to visualize what the rooms would look like packed with African patients when I take them on the tour. On Saturday the whole ship was blacked out as major systems were worked on. I took this opportunity to go and explore the island with a few friends! 

There is nothing more refreshing than viewing God's beautiful creation, the word and cafe' con leche (coffee with milk). 


I have immensely enjoyed my time here on the island. It is a fabulous place to refresh and prepare for the Congo. We will leave Gran Canairia to sail to the Congo July 27th and arrive August 9th. School starts July 30th. We have school during the sail. It could be really interesting. =) I can't wait to get back in the classroom. I will have 5 students in my grade 1 class: Gracie, Nathaniel, Reiner, Harry and Caleb .They are from the US, the UK, South Africa and Australia. I love the diversity there will be. Please pray for my students as well as me as we prepare for the upcoming school year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment