Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Now this is eternal life...



Today is the day my nephew Cutler will be a big brother. I know he is so excited to meet his new little sister Charley Ryan Payne. He has been marking days off a calendar for months now. These are the times for me that are a little more difficult to be so far away from home. Sunday night I was reflecting on the very near birth of my new niece. I think a part of me grieves not being able to be there to meet her at her birth. She will be 7 months old before I meet her for the first time. I have always spent a lot of time with Cutler, but won't be able to do the same with Charley. As I was crying out to God he very quickly reminded me of two scriptures. 

Matthew 19:29
And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

John 17:3
Now this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

I take great comfort in these two scriptures. I do truly want to know Jesus more and more intimately! If being in Africa away from my family means I will know Him more, it’s worth it! The more I know his heart the more I can reflect it to the people of West Africa, which is my deep desire in being here, that they may also know Jesus Christ who is the only source of hope.

It is so like God to arrange what happened last night. I had the opportunity to visit one of our Mercy Ministries Ignace Deen Pediatric Ward. This is a Guinean hospital. We saw tiny babies all the way up to 12 year olds. As God would have it, I had the opportunity to hold one of the sweet babies Matzarabi. The evening before the birth of my niece I was able to love on a lovely little African baby and pray for salvation and healing. I spoke to the mom through a translator and thanked her for allowing me to hold her baby, as I would not be able to hold little Charley girl today. Is it hard to be away from home at times? It sure is, but God is so good to show his love in many ways so that I can then share that love with others.   

No comments:

Post a Comment